Make fast, easy and safe payments with your contactless card wherever you see the contactless symbol.
Simply hold your card over the contactless-enabled POS terminal to pay for everyday items.
There’s no need to enter a PIN, swipe your card or sign a receipt.
Just tap on the contactless-enabled point-of-sale machine and, for everyday items, no PIN is required. You pay within seconds.
Your card never leaves your hand when you make a payment, which means less chance of cloning or card swopping.
Because your card stays in your possession, you reduce your possible exposure to COVID-19, which can be spread through contaminated surfaces.
Frequently asked questions
The contactless payment system uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to allow payments from a special contactless card and a contactless payment terminal.
This special contactless symbol on a card indicates that customers with this kind of card can tap to pay immediately. The capability ensures the card never leaves your hand, making the payment process simple, safe and fast.
- Payments are fast, easy and safe.
- You no longer have to carry cash.
- You experience shorter queues and a faster ‘check-out’ process.
- You never let go of your card, thereby reducing the chances of fraud and ensuring a safer payment process.
Absolutely, for a number of reasons:
- The card is always in your hands, so you have full control.
- Each transaction has a unique one-time code that encrypts the payment information.
- All payments are protected in case of fraud.
No. The contactless technology requires the cashier to initiate the payment on their system before a transaction can take place. The card must be 2mm from the terminal to allow payment.
No. The contactless terminals can only communicate to one card at a time.
If your card is stolen, please call our Contact Centre 5950 immediately to cancel it.
The merchant staff are trained to assist you with the payment process in-store. Should there be an issue that the merchant staff cannot resolve, please immediately call 5950 or visit the nearest Absa branch.
A PIN will be requested from you for the following reasons:
- Your first use of your new Absa Vertical card will require a PIN to activate the contactless “Tap” payment functionality.
- You have exceeded the daily limit for your contactless “Tap” payment.
Yes, you will still be able to perform chip-and-PIN transactions.